[ubuntu-in] LAN repository from DVDs

Sanjay Bhangar sanjaybhangar at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 23:30:05 GMT 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Dibyajyoti Mohapatra <dibyam at vubites.com>wrote:

> Dear All,
> I just bought a set of DVDs of complete repository of ubuntu 8.04 Hardy
> from an online vendor(Zyxware). Now I want to use them to set up a local
> repository similar to apt-mirror without downloading the whole stuff.
> I googled and found many guides which are either about creating a
> repository on local machine or downloading and configuring a local mirror.
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=243
> The above link is very close to my need but I don't know how to turn the
> same into a local NETWORK mirror so that other machines on my LAN can use
> the repository.
> I have used apt-cacher in the past to do something similar and it worked
like a charm. There's a HOWTO here:
http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-set-up-a-repository-cache-with-apt-cacher .
You basically install apt-cacher on the server machine, use the
import.plscript (described on page 2 of the HOWTO), import all the
packages from your
repository dvds, change the sources.list file on all the client machines,
and you should be good to go. The added advantage of this is that when any
machine on the network gets a new package or updates an existing package,
the same will be available to all other machines on the network locally,
without having to fetch it from the internet.

I hope that helps, and I hope you can post an updated howto once you have
this setup :)

all the best,