[ubuntu-in] Spam into the mailing list

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 20:03:32 GMT 2009

Hi Shan

For reasons of list noise, as many of you folks have been pointing out
this will be my last mail in this thread.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM, shan chak <shankholove2005 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Hi ram,
> There are lots of unethical stuffs which education can help to curb,but at
> the same time education create menaces, like comp viruses ,which are created
> by some of the best minds.
Which is why i shifted to GNU/FLOSS -

> So just teaching them won't do.
> Spams also belong to this category.

am not a fan of an eye for an eye but if people won't learn then its
time for them to burn a bit .

> There will always be some absent minded and immature persons to leak
> out the mailing list id to someone ( especially social networking websites

I hope these absent minded and immature persons are also as careless
in non virtual life - it should help them get poorer (as if inflation
ain't enough) and improved list security is not just for us but for
these immature and absent minded persons

> I hope you have got my point.

I did

> Users deliberately or mistakenly give ubuntu India mailing list id to social
> networking websites like LinkedIn

Maybe we need a spam for a spam - how about we begin registering these
involuntary spam agents on to some really crap news lists etc so that
they have more spam in their inbox then mail and they are forced to
leave those acconts. Only this is we tell them we will do this.

> Ya I know this isn't a great method but until and unless we don't have some
> automatic stuff, do we have any other solution?

and we could automate this spam the spam agent.

Lastly - non of the people who spammed the list have offered an
apology, which would show the sincerity / sensitivity of the spammers
to the other list members.

 - and if the admin's have got them (which i doubt)  maybe they could
fwd it to the list.

ram