[ubuntu-in] Eroor at the time of booting, Grub Error.15

Mallikarjun(ಮಲ್ಲಿಕಾರ್ಜುನ್) mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 07:23:22 GMT 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Ravi Joshi <ravi.joshi53 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>     I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 some day ago.Before installing Ubuntu9.10
> i have Ubuntu9.04,BT4(KDE,Ubuntu8.10)and WindowsXP installled in my
> laptop.At the time of installing Ubuntu 9.10 i have checked in the icon
> Install Boot Loader.After complete installation when i restart my laptop it
> is showing grub error 15 at the time of booting.
>      I restart my laptop and login it using Ubuntu Live CD and there is
> nothing at the location boot/grub/ . No menu.lst file found.I tried to copy
> it from BT4(KDE,Ubuntu8.10) and paste it at the location boot/grub/ but i
> have no permission to paste on this location.
>      What should i do to boot my all OS?

You have to some work but trivial dont worry

First of all ubuntu karmic have new grub loader 1.97beta6..., so there is
menu.lst in /boot/grub instead /boot/grub/grub.cfg is the file
and config files are available in /etc/grub.d folder

Recovery should be like this
  Boot into live CD
  open Terminal
  type in commands as follows
*      sudo /dev/sdax /mnt*  (sdax is the ubuntu karmic partition, if you
dont know go to system --> administrative-->disk utility and find out)
*      sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda* (drive name)

This should give you grub menu at start

if you want to add any entries append your grub entries like below
  menuentry "Windows XP" {
            set root=(hd0,1)
            chainloader +1
  }

and then type in command
*  sudo update-grub*

Hope this helps, please find yourself more information from grub2 ubuntu
wiki page