[ubuntu-in] Adjusting the monitor resolution

Dhruv (DST) dhruvtanwar at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 05:48:38 GMT 2009


________________________________
From:Dhruv (DST) <dhruvtanwar at yahoo.com>
To:ubuntu-in at lists.ubuntu.com
Sent:Mon, 14 December, 2009 11:13:23 AM
Subject:Re: Adjusting the monitor resolution


Hi Ritesh,

Thanks for your reponse. My computer does not have a NIVDIA card - it has an onboard card. (I know this cause I have a Compaq Presario with an NVIDIA card, and I had the same problem when I installed Ubuntu on that as well. It was easy to install the requisite drivers there and the problem was taken care of by the second restart.) As requested, I'm pasting below the output of the two commands from the terminal: 
dhruv at dhruv-workstation:~$ glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"
direct rendering: Yes
dhruv at dhruv-workstation:~$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [8086:2562] (rev 03)
dhruv at dhruv-workstation:~$ 


Hi Ashish,
I did try the System->Preferences->Display option but the maximum resolution option given there is  1024x768. I know for a fact that the Acer X153w monitor supports higher resolutions, which is what I'm trying to get to.

Hi Majid,
What kind of kernel updates are you referring to and what does this accomplish and how? I'm not sure I understand since I was under the impression that required updates, including kernel updates, are taken care of by autoupdates or via an upgrade?


Thanks for your help so far and awaiting further responses.

Regards,
Dhruv

+91-9820778755
dhruvtanwar at yahoo.com





________________________________
From:"ubuntu-in-request at lists.ubuntu.com" <ubuntu-in-request at lists.ubuntu.com>
To:ubuntu-in at lists.ubuntu.com
Sent:Sun, 13 December, 2009 2:43:29 PM
Subject:ubuntu-in Digest, Vol 46, Issue 23

Send ubuntu-in mailing list submissions to
    ubuntu-in at lists.ubuntu.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-in
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    ubuntu-in-request at lists.ubuntu.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
    ubuntu-in-owner at lists.ubuntu.com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of ubuntu-in digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re:  ubuntu-in Digest, Vol 46, Issue 22 (Ashish Kumar)
   2. Re:  ubuntu-in Digest, Vol 46, Issue 22 (Ramnarayan.K)
   3. Re:  ubuntu-in Digest, Vol 46, Issue 22 (Majid)
   4.  (no subject) (Vinit Parmar)
   5.  (no subject) (Vinit Parmar)
   6. Re:  (no subject) (Nitesh Mistry)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 20:52:58 +0530
From: Ashish Kumar <kumaratif at gmail..com>
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-in] ubuntu-in Digest, Vol 46, Issue 22
To: ubuntu-in at lists.ubuntu.com
Message-ID:
    <7dcc2f350912120722r33e0e80o39ce15ddabe65a08 at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

For adjusting monitor resolution you  should go to System->Preferences->Display
Here in resolution  you can see the maximum resolution supported by
your monitor.You can Adjust monitor Resolution and Frequecy there.This
should work.

On 12/12/09, ubuntu-in-request at lists.ubuntu.com
<ubuntu-in-request at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Send ubuntu-in mailing list submissions to
>     ubuntu-in at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>     https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-in
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>     ubuntu-in-request at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>     ubuntu-in-owner at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of ubuntu-in digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1.  Adjusting the monitor resolution (Dhruv (DST))
>    2. Re:  Adjusting the monitor resolution (Ritesh Sinha)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:40:16 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Dhruv \(DST\)" <dhruvtanwar at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [ubuntu-in] Adjusting the monitor resolution
> To: ubuntu-in at lists.ubuntu.com
> Message-ID: <690378.94043.qm at web110607.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to discuss and find an answer to a peculiar problem I seem to
> have on my desktop. I own a 2004-vintage Intel P4, 512MB ram, 40GB hard
> drive machine. I switched it to Ubuntu around a year back when I first
> started using Ubuntu. At the time, I was using a regular CRT monitor and
> when I installed Ubuntu it set the resolution to 800x600. After some
> tinkering I managed to get it to 1024x768 (unfortunately I now forget how I
> managed that). However, a few months later I had to relocate my office, and
> in the course of shifting the CRT VGA monitor, it met its end. As a
> replacement I bought an Acer 15 inches x153W LCD monitor.
>
> The trouble is that now Ubuntu does not allow me to change or set the
> resolution any higher than the 1024x768. I know the monitor is capable of
> handling 1280x1024, but I have been unable to figure out how to get it to
> perform at this level. In the mean time, I also upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 -
> everything on the system works fantastically well except for the inability
> to reset the monitor resolution to my liking.
>
> Could someone please help? Thanks in anticipation!
>
>
> Regards,
> Dhruv
>
> +91-9820778755
> dhruvtanwar at yahoo.com
>
>
>       The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.
> http://in.yahoo.com/
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-in/attachments/20091211/c4b79912/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:49:47 +0530
> From: Ritesh Sinha <sinha.k.ritesh at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-in] Adjusting the monitor resolution
> To: Ubuntu India Local Community <ubuntu-in at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID:
>     <a52f9a570912112019p5df7ecbi5a408736b634871c at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Dhruv (DST) <dhruvtanwar at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking to discuss and find an answer to a peculiar problem I seem to
>> have on my desktop. I own a 2004-vintage Intel P4, 512MB ram, 40GB hard
>> drive machine. I switched it to Ubuntu around a year back when I first
>> started using Ubuntu. At the time, I was using a regular CRT monitor and
>> when I installed Ubuntu it set the resolution to 800x600. After some
>> tinkering I managed to get it to 1024x768 (unfortunately I now forget how
>> I managed that). However, a few months later I had to relocate my office,
>> and in the course of shifting the CRT VGA monitor, it met its end. As a
>> replacement I bought an Acer 15 inches x153W LCD monitor.
>>
>> The trouble is that now Ubuntu does not allow me to change or set the
>> resolution any higher than the 1024x768. I know the monitor is capable of
>> handling 1280x1024, but I have been unable to figure out how to get it to
>> perform at this level. In the mean time, I also upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 -
>> everything on the system works fantastically well except for the inability
>> to reset the monitor resolution to my liking..
>>
> Does you system have a separate graphics card attached or is the
> monitor connected to the onboard (intel) card? If you're using an
> Nvidia or ATI card, you may need to install more drivers.
>
> The other possibility is that Ubuntu may be using VESA (generic)
> drivers for your make of card, causing it to max out at 1024x768. Can
> you please post the outputs of running the following commands in the
> terminal?
>
> $ glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"
>
> and
>
> $ lspci -nn | grep VGA
>
>
>
>> Could someone please help? Thanks in anticipation!
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dhruv
>>
>> +91-9820778755
>> dhruvtanwar at yahoo.com
>>
>>
>> ________________________________
>> The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.


      The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/




More information about the ubuntu-in mailing list