[ubuntu-in] Adjusting the monitor resolution

Dhruv (DST) dhruvtanwar at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 12 03:40:16 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'm looking to discuss and find an answer to a peculiar problem I seem to have on my desktop. I own a 2004-vintage Intel P4, 512MB ram, 40GB hard drive machine. I switched it to Ubuntu around a year back when I first started using Ubuntu. At the time, I was using a regular CRT monitor and when I installed Ubuntu it set the resolution to 800x600. After some tinkering I managed to get it to 1024x768 (unfortunately I now forget how I managed that). However, a few months later I had to relocate my office, and in the course of shifting the CRT VGA monitor, it met its end. As a replacement I bought an Acer 15 inches x153W LCD monitor.

The trouble is that now Ubuntu does not allow me to change or set the resolution any higher than the 1024x768. I know the monitor is capable of handling 1280x1024, but I have been unable to figure out how to get it to perform at this level. In the mean time, I also upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 - everything on the system works fantastically well except for the inability to reset the monitor resolution to my liking.

Could someone please help? Thanks in anticipation!

Regards,
Dhruv

+91-9820778755
dhruvtanwar at yahoo.com