[ubuntu-in] Canonical only to send free cd's to developers

Ashutosh Rishi Ranjan ashutoshrishi92 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 15:34:45 GMT 2009

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/11/18/who-deserves-free-ubuntu-cds-more/

This will make it harder for many people to get ubuntu. I have seen so many
people who wouldn't download anything more than a 100MB because of money or
speed. But from the beginning I did think that giving free CDs was
outrageous!

What could be the alternatives?

Could we make ubuntu CDs together with printed CD covers (we could make a
custom Ubuntu india CD cover)?
The cost would vary accourding to the resources we could use: a CD is for
Rs12 approx, and printing can be done from a shop or with a printer. These
CDs could be distributed to local bookstores and shop. We could divide the
management of this distrubution according to the area we live in.

I think I remember reading that we could definitely sell custom Ubuntu CDs (
I don't think I remember correctly, please confirm). But if we could, we
could use it wisely. I vote for non-profit.

The difficult part would be making the shops agree.

The other project we could undertake is either ( somehow ) getting a shipit
like program within India itself. I don't know how will that be made
possible. I am still to even get my own bank account. But just suggesting.

PS: It was my small time dream that I would earn a lot, and help in
advertising Ubuntu.

--
Ashutosh Rishi
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish