[ubuntu-in] BSNL Broadband does not work through Network Manager Applet in Ubuntu 9.10

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 14:15:01 GMT 2009

Hi

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 5:14 PM, $reehari <theneoindian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi . First of all i don't see any reason why you need to configure dsl in
> network manager . Doesn't your modem auto connect to the internet ??? almost
> all modems do .. the way most of us connect to dataone (or any other adsl )
> is to configure the connection in the modem itself , i.e give the usename ,
> password and other info in the modem and tell it to always remain connected
> . Then in Ubuntu , the next only step remaining is to give the DNS address
> in the network manager app . Then , conecerning your problems wid network
> manager appp like no option to connect and it forgetting the new connections
> etc , as far as i know it has got some bugs , especially with setting static
> ip etc . If such anomalies persist in network manager , try WICD . I use
> wicd instead of network manager ..

Inline posting would be helpful

First this is a password based connection ?? needs a user name and
password and Auto eth0 does not do it so it *has* to be setup with the
ADSL option.  Yes this normally works but so far it has not and after
a recent update network manager seems to even buggier the only thing
is that it makes sure that Mobile broadband devices work well.

So don't want to mess with WICD unless i know these also work there.

ram