[ubuntu-in] BSNL Broadband does not work through Network Manager Applet in Ubuntu 9.10

$reehari theneoindian at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 11:44:53 GMT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
oops the reply was big , so i cut it off and reply again . hope this is not
a problem . the original reply is :

Hi . First of all i don't see any reason why you need to configure dsl in
network manager . Doesn't your modem auto connect to the internet ??? almost
all modems do .. the way most of us connect to dataone (or any other adsl )
is to configure the connection in the modem itself , i.e give the usename ,
password and other info in the modem and tell it to always remain connected
. Then in Ubuntu , the next only step remaining is to give the DNS address
in the network manager app . Then , conecerning your problems wid network
manager appp like no option to connect and it forgetting the new connections
etc , as far as i know it has got some bugs , especially with setting static
ip etc . If such anomalies persist in network manager , try WICD . I use
wicd instead of network manager ..

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Am setting up a fresh installation of Ubuntu 9.10 (Ultimate) .
> Everything has gone well. The only issue is the BSNL Broadband
>
> It is an ADSL connection and does not connect through the Network
> Manager Applet.
>
> I had to use use pppoeconf to set it up. Even on my laptop its the same
> problem
>
> The modem is a Siemens C2110. And the connection is via ethernet. The
> auto eth0 starts up and connects to the modem but it only allows
> access to the device and no further.
>
> Any idea what the problem could be.
>
> Some time back on a similar network problem Shakthi Kannan posted a
> network-debub script file
> http://shakthimaan.com/downloads/glv/scripts/network-debug.sh
>
> which i am using to attach the details below:
>
> Would appreciate knowing whats wrong and how to rectify this.
>
> ***
>
> Network Debug Helper Script
> Version 1.1
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt
> shakthimaan at gmail dot com
>
> ifconfig --------------------------------------------------
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:16:41:56:39:7d
>          inet6 addr: fe80::216:41ff:fe56:397d/64 Scope:Link
>          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:17410 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:17875 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>          RX bytes:18980808 (18.9 MB)  TX bytes:2174881 (2.1 MB)

Your friendly neighbourhood ,
SreeHari

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow
in Australia." -Charles Schultz