[ubuntu-in] VLC codec error

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:30:39 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:10 PM, $reehari <theneoindian at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Dnyanraj Mali <dnyanraj.mali at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> I downloaded a movie tried to play it but it says i need to use Windows
>> media player.
>>
>> i am using ubuntu 9.04, movie file is .avi
>>
>> i tried to upgrade vlc but its fully upgraded.
>>
>> can anybody suggest me some solution?
>>
>> One more question, if i upgrade to ubuntu 9.10 online, then i will need
>> more disc space for root partition. is there any solution to reduce disk
>> space by deleting some unwanted files?
>>
>> last time i upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 & some extra space was needed.
>>

> vlc player must play avi files without any additional plugins .

Wrong. AVI is just a container format. It doesn't specify the video
codec. An avi file can have video content encoded in divx, xvid, h.264
and many more formats.

> but if it
> doesn't play u can install gstreamer-ffmpeg package and play avi and many
> more proprietery formats in totem movie player . u may also install smplayer

If the file indeed contains WMV video content then you can not play
that reliably even in totem with help of gstreamer-ffmpeg nor in
smplayer.

Onkar