[ubuntu-in] 32-bit version on a amd 64 system!

Biswajit Dutta Baruah indianorthodoc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 14:33:40 BST 2009

Friends,

I was just wondering if it's possible to install a 32-bit version of
ubuntu 9.04 on an amd 64 system.

I thought it was not possible. But nevertheless since I carry a 32-bit
version on a pen drive, I attempted to do so on a friend's compaq
presario notebook. To my surprise, the whole process went smoothly. The
system booted in but there was no display. I tried installing the nvidia
drivers through envy but that didn't help as well.

I remember sometime back when I was installing ubuntu via cd's the
installation would warn about the mismatch. But this time around there
were no such error messages. Windows does permit installing 32-bit
versions on amd 64, don't they?

My question therefore is: Is the graphics display problem due to the
mismatch? In other words, is it possible to install a 32-bit ubuntu
version on an amd 64 platform? ( On a more general note, I would like
your opinion on the amd 64 platform. I know this is not the forum for
it, so you can refuse to answer this last bit. But I think there is a
role for discussions on a mailing list and not just query-answer sessions)

regards,

Biswajit
aka orthodoc