[ubuntu-in] Auto restartting ADSL connection

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 06:50:46 BST 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Ramnarayan.K<ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Gora Mohanty<gora at sarai.net> wrote:
>>
>> Are you guys not using the network manager panel applet? Of late,
>> it has become so good that I no longer use the command line to
>> configure the network. It handles redialling, etc.
>
> NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0.100
> is what i use and this does not auto redial and i cannot find any
> option to make it look for a broken connection and redial
>
> to clarify my is a username login and password based connection and
> the interuppts are quite frequent.

The router has two modes. Routed and Bridged.
In case of routed it is the router which handles dialing. The PC will
simply get an internal IP form the dhcp server running on router.
In case of bridged mode, the router is acting only as modem. The PC
needs to have a dialer installed. Yours seem to be this case. I don't
exactly remember how the BSNL routers are configured out of box.
In case the PC is handling dialing then obviously the PC gets to know
about connection status. Network manager should be able to re-dial in
that case.

By the way, I never heard anyone complaining about frequent disconnect
on BSNL connection. There seems to be some serious problem with your
setup. Make sure the splitter installed is functioning properly. Also
check if you have same problem with other routers.

Onkar