[ubuntu-in] Auto restartting ADSL connection

Rohit V Bhute rvbhute at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 06:32:25 BST 2009

Ramnarayan.K wrote:
> so is using a ppp dialer like kppp or gnome ppp a solution ??

You would need to restart the ppp connection in the ADSL modem. You can
do that either by telnet (most ADSL modems should have telnet access) or
through through the web admin interface.

Both these methods can be automated. If you prefer telnet, you would use
something like expect (http://expect.nist.gov/). For the web admin panel
route, something like Mechanize
(http://search.cpan.org/dist/WWW-Mechanize/lib/WWW/Mechanize.pm).

I used the 'expect' utility to restart my ADSL modem at 12AM and 8AM,
for free download hours. I am sure it can used to restart the ppp
connection too.

Regards.
--
Rohit Bhute