[ubuntu-in] Questions regarding Virtualbox

Sameep sameep at tuxwire.com
Sun Aug 2 13:01:07 BST 2009

| Hi
|
| I successfully installed and set up virtualbox on my Ubuntu 9.04
| system.
|
| Its the CSE edition meaning it has USB support built in (as opposed
| the open source edition which does not)
|
| I installed PCLINUXOS as the guest OS, it installed well and works
| well,
|
| I had a few questions
| 1. I alloted 1024 MB as RAM for the guest system - will this mean
| that
| when the Virtualized environment is not running it will continue to
| not be available to the main system ??

The RAM is only allocated when your VirtualBox VM is running.

| 2. I could not get the virtualized guest system to work on a
| partition
| of my choice - it landed it up in my /home/user  - is there a way to
| change this ??

The default directory for the disk image [.vdi] is the home directory. You can either choose a different directory while creating the disk image or move it later using VBoxManage. You can't copy paste it [I think] because the disk image is linked to a UUID . The command should be something like :

VBoxManage clonevdi ~/.VirtualBox/VDI/PcLinuxOS.vdi /media/disk/PCLinuxOS_Backup.vdi

This command generates a new UUID for the disk which you can use in a new VM.