[ubuntu-in] Upgrading to Ubuntu-9.04

Abhishek Amberkar [अभिषेक] abhishek.amberkar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 13:24:26 BST 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 4:16 PM, tabankg <khabor08 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry,onkar again I am wrong in my explanations.
> I mean to say that ,by upgrading to Ubuntu-9.04 from Ubuntu-8.10,it
> will definitely erase the previous version.But I want all those stuff
> downloaded,e.g. PICASA(in .deb format),pictures,files-straight way the
> data files(MUSIC,PICS.,*.DEB FILES) to remain intact.
> My desktop arrangement,should be kept intact...

I had Mplayer installed on Kubuntu 8.10. The upgrade to Kubuntu 9.04
through alternate cd removed it. The procedure I followed for upgrade
is

* apt-cdrom add
* aptitude update
* aptitude safe-upgrade

Here I got the broken system so I tried nothing but

* aptitude dist-upgrade

Here I got the properly working Kubuntu but without some packages like Mplayer.

What can be the reason behind this?

--
With Regards
Abhishek Amberkar