[ubuntu-in] About Jaunty Mirroring

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 07:40:48 BST 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Ninad Pundalik <ninadsp16289 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Many of you are looking forward to the big release tomorrow of Ubuntu
>> 9.04, codenamed "Jaunty Jackalope". The servers are going to be slammed,
>> including many of the popular mirrors. So, if you want good reliable
>> data speeds, I'd recommend hitting up bittorrent. The seeds are already
>> populated, and the transfers will likely fill up your connection.
>
> This isn't an option for me, as I am on a LAN where most of the ports
> are blocked.  Also, I upgraded to the beta version a few days back
> with the alternate iso. What I would like to know is the time it will
> require for the India Mirror, (ftp.iitm.ac.in) to mirror the final
> release packages.  If the packages are downloaded, they can be cached
> locally, where everyone from my campus can access them.  Hopefully,
> that will mean a little lesser load on the servers :)

There haven't been any changes in packages in main/restricted
repository after RC release (21st). So I am sure IITM mirror already
has final packages for main/restricted.

There was a security release for firefox (3.0.9) which went into
jaunty-security. Not sure if that is available on IITM mirror.

Onkar