[ubuntu-in] importing aspell-hi dictionary into another computer

Dinbandhu dinbandhu at sprynet.com
Tue Apr 7 19:16:02 BST 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 22:20 +0530, Gora Mohanty wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 23:37:03 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
> Dinbandhu <dinbandhu at sprynet.com> wrote:
>
> > I have spent months working on both my aspell-hi personalized
> > dictionary as well as the aspell-hi system-wide dictionary, and
> > now have a fairly extensive dictionary whose vocabulary is
> > specialized for the writing which I do. I am now helping a
> > colleague to set up the same aspell Hindi spell-checker in his
> > computer, and need to install these Hindi dictionaries of mine
> > for use with aspell in his computer.
> [...]
> >                                 So it would seem logical enough
> > that if I want to put my hi.cwl into his computer, then I can
> > just compress it into the hi.cwl.gz format and install it in
> > his computer. Should this work?
> [...]
>
> No, just copying hi.cwl.gz is not going to work, and that
> procedure never has worked, at least not with recent versions
> of aspell. The file that aspell actually uses is in
> /var/lib/aspell/hi.rws on an Ubuntu system.
>
> The procedure to make this work is:
>  o Download the aspell Hindi dictionary distribution from
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/hi/aspell6-hi-0.02-0.tar.bz2
>  o Unarchive it:
>      tar xjf aspell6-hi-0.02-0.tar.bz2
>      cd aspell6-hi-0.02-0  # All further work from this dir.
>  o Replace hi.cwl in the distribution with your hi.cwl.
>  o See README for instructions. You have to run the following
>    commands:
>      ./configure
>      make
>      sudo make install

I just tried it, and everything works perfectly up to here. If one has
installed aspell-hi via synaptic, one just has to completely uninstall
that first. It seems to install itself in a different way if you do it
through synaptic. But doing it the way you've noted above, it works
perfectly.

>  o You can now remake the aspell Hindi distribution for use in
>    a different computer, with:
>      make dist
>    which will create a aspell6-hi-0.02-0.tar.bz2 distribution
>    package in the current directory. This will contain the new
>    hi.cwl, and saves you the trouble of manually replacing it
>    each time.

This command did not work. Here is my terminal window output when I
tried it:

:~/aspell6-hi-0.02-0$ make dist
perl proc
Can't open perl script "proc": No such file or directory
make: *** [dist] Error 2

What do I need to do to make this command work?

> > Another related question: I notice that after installing
> > aspell-hi in my colleague's computer, there are no
> > .aspell.hi.prepl and .aspell.hi.pws files in his home
> > folder. These used to be the names of the personalized
> > dictionaries. Is it now done in a different way? Because I
> > would like to install my .aspell.hi.prepl and .aspell.hi.pws
> > files in his computer as well.
>
> These are replacement word lists specific to the user, and are
> created only when the user adds personal words to the list in
> the aspell dictionary (usually through some aspell client like
> the gedit spell-checker). You should be able to copy this to
> the home directory of a new user, and have these work, provided
> aspell Hindi is installed and working.

I found that this will not work if one simply pastes
one's .aspell.hi.prepl and .aspell.hi.pws files in one's home directory.
One first needs to allow aspell to create these files on its own, by
opening a gedit text file, typing in hindi with the spellchecker active,
and adding any word into the hindi dictionary. Those two files will then
be created in the home directory. If one then copy-pastes the entire
contents of one's own .aspell.hi.prepl and .aspell.hi.pws files in to
those two files created by aspell, then it works perfectly.

Regards,
Swarup