[ubuntu-in] Packages + Dependices

Manish manishsinha.tech at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 18:29:51 BST 2008

Fabian Enos wrote:
> Ramnarayan: The packages are the .deb files that were downloaded fro
> the internet. AptOnCD just restores the same files. Synaptic or spkg
> should be able to find the version difference.
>
> Manish: I created the iso file. I just hope my friend has no problems.
>
> On 9/28/08, Ramnarayan. K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Manish <manishsinha.tech at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> You can create a repository on a CD using AptOnCD. Its even signed, so
>>> he should not face any problems.
>>>
>>> ok , some days back i created an AptonCD - and it seems to
>>>
>> includeeverything i had downloaded through apt / synaptic till then, but
>> there is something i could not figure out.
>>
>> After making the AptonCD and then using apton to "restore" the packages it
>> "presumably" copies packages to the appropriate directory - but how does
>> synaptic know that the latest (or whatever version) of packages are present
>> and show it in Synaptic.
>>
>> I took the long route - after using the restore option i opened synaptic and
>> "reloaded" the packages on live internet and once it should the updates
>> "killed" the internet connection and then installed the packages - and the
>> installations went well - no noise from synaptic.
>>
>> But therein lies the problem so how does one work with aptoncd's without the
>> internet -
>> would love to get the answer to that
>>
>> ram

Fabion,

You can use the restore option to restore the packages, but if you burn
it to a CD, you can have more benefits.

If you burn it to a CD and mount it in your friend's comp, then a dialog
box appears showing that a signed repository has been detected and do
you want to import it. If you wish to continue, the packages are copied
back to the archives and the index is also updated. Now you can simply
go to the package, select it and install. The packages will not be
downloaded but installed.
You can check it by seeing that Download Size is shown as 0 KB.

Regards,
Manish Sinha