[ubuntu-in] sharinf /home between distros

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 13:36:16 BST 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Moz <listmoz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mallikarjun
>
>>(1) can i share single /home between ubuntu and fedora
>>(2) if so will the configuration files stay intact and consistant?
>
> Here's what I suggest. You already have Ubuntu installed I believe.
> Backup your /home on an external drive (pen drive or external HDD).
> Make enough space on your internal HDD and then install Fedora,
> allowing it to format your /home if it wants to. At the end, boot
> Fedora once and then copy your backup of /home from the external
> drive back to your internal HDD. Perhaps that will delete some config
> files but this might work.

On the contrary he should keep the existing data on /home partition
and use it as it is. That way there is at least some chance that it
will work.
Also the first user created in Fedora will need same user name as in
Ubuntu. Otherwise it will simply use different home directory
(/home/<username>).

Onkar