[ubuntu-in] How do I update the kernel using the terminal?

Mehul Ved mehul.n.ved at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 21:05:45 BST 2008

On 9/14/08, Fabian Enos <fabian.rap.more at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

HI,

>      I just spent the last half an hour googling on this topic. Does
>  anybody know how I can update to the latest version??

1) You want the latest version available in ubuntu's official repositories?
2) Or the latest stable release from kernel.org?
3) Or the cutting edge git checkout?

For 1, you will need to run upgrades. In case you want a kernel from a
higher release without upgrading full distro, i.e. if you're using
hardy but want the kernel bundled with intrepid, you need to look at
apt-pinning[1].

For 2, you can download the kernel from kernel.org[2], configure it
using make menuconfig or make xconfig. Then you can use package
management tools to package it as a deb, but this will be a lengthy
process as you will have to compile the packages. Also, for newbies it
takes quite a few trial and errors to get a working config. You could
search for custom kernel compilation with ubuntu. Couple of useful
links I could find are on howtoforge[3] and ubuntuforums[4].

For 3, you will need to install git[5] from ubuntu repositories[6] and
checkout the latest kernel source then compile it using the method
shown in reference 3. You can also view git users documentation on
kernel.org[7].

All this said and done, what is your primary reason for wanting to
upgrade to a newer kernel, once the reason is stated people would get
a clearer idea and give better suggestions.