[ubuntu-in] How to save updates for later on and for other machines

mallikarjun arjun mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 18:00:44 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Prakash Advani <prakash at canonical.com>wrote:

> ramnarayan.k at gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Am currently on 7.04 upgraded to 7.10 and am now applying updates to
> 7.10.
> >
> > So
> > 1.  is there a way i can copy my updates /upgrades to keep them for
> > someone else to use.

You can use AptonCD which creates an ISO image with all the deb files so
that any later time you can use AptonCD to put back the deb files so that no
need to download files, this will be a kind of repository of only your
required packages.

> > 2. Can i make a copy / back up so that if i want to redo my machine i
> > can apply these updates / upgrades without having to get on to the net
> > again.

Same answer as above

> You can also setup apt-proxy, so when one PC updates, the others can
> then update from that PC.
> > 3. Amusing synaptic to download these updates / upgrades - so where
> > would these updated files be stored can i just copy individual files
> > from there.

/var/cache/apt/archives --all  fully downloaded packages
/var/cache/apt/archives/partial -- all partially downloaded packages

> > look forward to your suggestions /advice
> >
> > thanks
> > ram
> >

> --
> Partner Manager - Central Asia