[ubuntu-in] Dell and Ubuntu!

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 13:56:56 BST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Biswajit Dutta Baruah
<indianorthodoc at gmail.com> wrote:
> @Gourav: Only the Vostro laptops are available in India without Vista.
> But the Inspiron and XPS ranges are not. The vostro range is designed to
> meet the need of buisnesses and not a normal everyday user.
>
> @list: I am not sure Dell is interested in promoting ubuntu in India as
> of now! I would think they are more into making their presence felt,
> brand promotion and so on. I think that the launch of MID's holds
> greater promise in the growth of ubuntu in India. Dell and others may
> capitalise at that moment, but not for now.

The fact that these laptops are visible on dell.co.in website with OS
Ubuntu very much means that they are interested to capture market in
India.
If someone asks me which laptop to buy, I am surely going to recommend
Dell with Ubuntu.

And AFAIK, Vostro series is more for home/business users. And XPS is
more targeted at developers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Onkar