[ubuntu-in] Type of distros

Shashank Bharadwaj shanka.mns at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 06:25:37 BST 2008

Hi

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 3:09 PM, mallikarjun arjun <mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com
> wrote:

>  Then MS will say we are the leading desktop operating system providers of
> the world because there will be only one operating system at a time in
> market say windows XP or Vista or windows7 wat eva. We cant say that bcoz
> Ubuntu -20%, suse 15%, fedora 14% etc( please ignore these figures),

So what. If we go by your own figures it clearly says GNU/Linux has about
50% of market share. Does it really matter as to what distro each person is
using?

As long as most people realize that proprietary is bad, and switch to Free
Software, we should not have any concerns as to which distro they are using.

I think if what you said was to happen in next 10 years, it'll be a great
(GREAT) achievement for Free Software!

If all the ppl in the world who are interested in GNU/Linux develop a single
> OS named  wat eve. Imagine the output (I am out of imaganation.)

Nice imagination, but that'd not work. Since most developers have their own
idea as to which direction the software must go. (Think rpm, deb) So it's
left to the community to decide. So if some people want to move in some
other direction, they must not be stopped. That's the whole point of Free
Software.

--
Regards
Shashank