[ubuntu-in] Kind Attn: Problem with UnInstall of softwares?

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 20:21:04 BST 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 2:42 PM, IPS Khurana <ipskhurana at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
> i have installed Ubuntu 8.041 LTS Desktop,
> then i installed Wine to install some windows based apps,
> i have installed windows based apps, but they are not launching..some
> error..
> so i want to uninstall them and re-install, them, but i dont know
> how to un install those windows apps.. (ACD FotoSlate)

Did you check if your menu contains any entries for these
applications? There should be uninstall entries.

> also is there any other program like wine which supports windows apps..

Crossover. It is not free.

> actually i want some softwares to run on ubuntu,
>
> 1st one is photo print software like Acd Fotoslate (win xp based)
> it has ready templates to print multiple photos on each sheet.
>
> 2nd one is i want to view & print .dwg (autocad) files

No idea if there are any alternatives available.

> 3 rd i want Ares p2p like software on Ubuntu..

There are lots of p2p protocols. Is Ares a bittorrent client? If yes
then there is one client sitting right there in the menus.
Applications -> Internet -> Transmission.

> 4th i have installed unrar package, but still it doesnt opens
> rar files.

Use Synaptic Package Manager and install package unrar. Then you
should be able to open rar files by double clicking them.

> i am not able to find Yast in Ubuntu to uninstall the softwares.

Ubuntu uses Synaptic Package Manager.

> can anyone please help..in details and give links..
> .. i was using win xp ..but now i switched over to
> Ubuntu, and i want to continue with Ubuntu, cuase i liked it
> more than xp..

Since now you have switched to Ubuntu I suggest you try to find right
tools for the job instead of trying to run every Windows application
in using wine. :-)

Welcome to world of Free software.

Onkar