[ubuntu-in] Proxy settings in ubuntu 8.10

Manish manishsinha.tech at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 19:10:11 GMT 2008

Parthan SR wrote:
> Hmmm? You mean you want us to suggest us some software which will help
> you do something which your college prohibits? Why would we do that? Am
> afraid I wouldn't put this list as the right place to ask this question.

Believe me Parthan, these college block such websites not due to
bandwidth issues, but just due to medieval mindset. I am still studying
in college and see the way they censor the internet. Some day may comes
that they block the net and allow whitelisting instead of blacklisting.
> Your college prohibits you from using it's resources to view social
> networking sites because it considers it's bandwidth to be precious
> enough not to be used for personal usage (social networking should be
> termed uber personal) and it makes sense.

Our college block internet access from 12 midnight to morning 5, so that
some students cant see adult sites. Its totally baselss excuse, in such
a case they would see it in the day. The real reason is that same rule
is being followed up in some other damn college and our college just
wants to copy it cheaply. COPYCATS!

Its a foolishness to take side with college.

Regards,
Manish