[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu on Apple Mac's

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Wed May 28 07:03:25 BST 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Ramnarayan. K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Am interested in user experiences of Ubuntu (and other Linux OS) on
> Apple Macs-particularly MAC books - both the positives and negatives.

I don't understand how user experience is going to be different on
thse machines than any other. But if you are talking about hardware
compatibility then following links might be useful.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

> also interested in why one should / should not buy a a macbook and run
> gnu/linux on it,

Macbook is highly portable because of the small screen size (approx
13.3"). And this is very useful when you have to carry it as against
the other laptops these days with 17" screen where you need to carry
separate bags.
Also apple machines always come packed with latest technologies. For
ex. they started shipping graphics cards with DVI output interface
long time before other vendors.
Macbook seems to be favorite among FOSS developers. Check photos from
UDS on planet Ubuntu you will know what I mean.
As for disadvantage they are overpriced in my opinion. And if you plan
to run on linux you will have some binary only driver, mostly graphics
card but you may need for wireless too.

Hope this helps.

Onkar