[ubuntu-in] Looking for a flat-bed scanner in the 6-7k range

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Wed May 21 05:56:30 BST 2008

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 17:23:26 +0530
> From: Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-in] Looking for a flat-bed scanner in the 6-7k
>        range   which is supported by ubuntu & available in India
> To: "Ubuntu India Local Community" <ubuntu-in at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Hi

Hi Ram,

> One : HP scanners are no longer so linux friendly - they may be
> supported out of the box but its good to verify from reviews and from
> the
>
> http://www.sane-project.org/
> and this site
> http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html

Thanx for getting back on this issue. I did go to the SANE site and
yes while there's a deluge of info. there it still doesn't make any
sense to me as a prospective buyer.  Instead of zillions of models
which are listed there if we could have on the ubuntu site say 2-3
models of each company with an estimated street price and who are the
dealers with whom we could connect.  That database could always be
updated to include newer models and phase-out the older models. I know
enough people who would use Ubuntu if this kind of help/documentation
was available as well.

> Two : this is issue of licensing (even through CC) is way over the
> top. This mailing list will already have its on Copyright regimes and
> it makes no sense for an individual , however quotable they may be, to
> devalue the concept of CC licensing. Further mails as coming from an
> identified address will be , by theory, ascribed to that person and
> hence copyright'able  As a habit, it a bad one. to CC license email,
> it sets the wrong precedent.
>
> As a presumption , what would be the next logical step licensing phone
> communication, sms's etc.

I am not licensing the mails which are specific to this mailing list.
I license all the mails which I send using this, although have been
thinking to change it to CC - by - SA. There is just a single
motivation as far as licensing the mails through CC.

1. People with whomever I'm communicating, many of them are unaware of
the alternative that CC gives. I like that and I wanna do a bit of
propaganda for them. I don't get any commercial benefits of the same,
I like CC and hence I use one of the licenses to sign it.

Ram, while I'm not particularly fond of flame-wars would love if you
could tell me why is the habit bad and why does it send a wrong
precendant?

[quote] As a habit, it a bad one. to CC license email, it sets the
wrong precedent. [/quote]

> ram

 Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3 8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17