[ubuntu-in] hardy getting slower with use?

Sanjay Bhangar sanjaybhangar at gmail.com
Fri May 9 17:10:57 BST 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Vishal Rao <vishalrao at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Vipul Mathur <vipul at linux-delhi.org> wrote:
>> Strange... it is running rock solid for me. Firefox 3b5 on hardy 32bit
>> no plugins installed.
>
> Working super duper for me on Hardy amd64 with flash (and i think java
> too) tho i dont visit lot of flash or java sites... maybe its a plugin
> or extension (im willing to bet) that is causing the problems for
> you...

I know the Totem plugin, which tries to provide a compatibility layer
with the VLC plugin, definitely has some issues.
Firefox3b5 has been generally buggy for me as well, though - regularly
takes cpu usage to over 50% (on both cores!) on very normal pages with
some javascript ..
I formatted my machine since I had dist-upgraded and did a clean
install, and with many tabs open, as I tend to have, firefox-2 still
performs better, imo.
Algo - you can try "sudo apt-get install firefox-2" and then run
"firefox-2" from terminal - then you'll know whether its a problem
with the beta release or something else causing the slowness ...

atb
-Sanjay