[ubuntu-in] Brittle Looking Indic Fonts - Ubuntu Hardy

ம. ஸ்ரீ ராமதாஸ்|Sri Ramadoss M shriramadhas at gmail.com
Fri May 2 16:46:40 BST 2008

Friends,

Any one tried browsing Indic Language Web Pages with Ubuntu Hardy?

The Indic Fonts appear brittle, lacking clarity.

This was not the case with Gutsy.  Some basic settings missing?

I edited the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and found entries pertaining to "Files"
and "Modules" section missing and added the following and restarted the X.

Section "Files"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
    # path to defoma fonts
    FontPath " /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load     "i2c"
    Load    "bitmap"
    Load    "ddc"
    Load    "dri"
    Load    "extmod"
    Load    "freetype"
    Load    "glx"
    Load    "int10"
    Load    "type1"
    Load    "vbe"
EndSection

The above step didn't help even after restarting the machine? What is
lacking thats causing the clarity of Indic fonts? I have installed
ttf-indic-fonts also.

I have taken the screenshots of Hindi Wikipedia(1) and Tamil Wikipedia(2)
for reference. Do we need to install xfs? or xfstt? and configure
accordingly?

Also if I name a folder it is also not appearing proper.  Similar is the
case with gedit.

(1) http://www.flickr.com/photos/7841307@N06/2459632168/
(2) http://www.flickr.com/photos/7841307@N06/2459632170/

Any directions?