[ubuntu-in] wireless in Hardy

AlgoMantra algomantra at gmail.com
Fri May 2 07:41:24 BST 2008

> I had the same problem on my HP Pavilion tx1000, and I found a
> solution to it. I was upgrading from Gutsy to Hardy, and I am not sure
> if this problem persists in a fresh Hardy install as well.

Mine was a fresh install because Gutsy's update manager was badly
corrupted. It seems to be a standard bug, but I found no clearcut
solution, also because I'm not very experienced in Linux.  I'm going
to install Ubuntu afresh again and try your solution.

- In /cdrom/pool/main/b you can find the deb for b43-fwcutter

In my Linux directory, or in the online Ubuntu repository? (since you
ask me to copy it to my disk)

- Copy it to your disk and then run it.

Should I copy it to any specific directory?

> - It should ask "Do I search for the driver myself?". Say no there.
> - You should recieve a prompt asking for the .o file of the driver.
> - get it from http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
> (use XP :)
> - that should make your wireless run (at least it worked for me)

Great, I'll try this today and get back to you.

> If this doesn't work out, follow instructions from the start from
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

thanks,
fadereu
http://www.algomantra.com