[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu India Hosting Fundraiser

Vivek Khurana hiddenharmony at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 07:01:27 GMT 2008

HI! all

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Baishampayan Ghose <b.ghose at gnu.org.in> wrote:
> Hello Ubunteros,
>
>  As some of ou may know already, we have been contemplating to move to
>  our own servers to host our website, wiki, forums, etc.
>
>  Currently our hosting is sponsored by Canonical which though being
>  excellent imposes some limitations; we need to contact them for any
>  change in the system configuration etc.
>
>  Moving to our own hosting will also let us manage our domain
>  (ubuntu-in.org) and thus we will be able to add new DNS entries and
>  the recent forum related DNS debacle won't happen.
>
>  But moving to our own hosting facility requires money. We have zeroed
>  in on a VPS hosting plan provided by Gandi.Net [1] where the basic
>  plan is around USD 7.50 per month.

 As per IRC discussion today. I have a spare account (read sparingly
used) with webfaciton.com , which can be used. They provide all the
services that we need. (including svn and mailing list, but I guess we
are not moving it right now). I can host all the services of ubuntu-in
with the above mentioned account.
 We also had a discussion regarding generating revenue with ads. I
have no objection with ubuntu-in generating revenue. Ubuntu-in can
generate revenue and continue hosting as long as you guys want to (if
need be, I will sponsor a separate account).
 We can shift the hosting immediately, if the proposal is acceptable.
 As for DNS problem, I will recommend that we create an account with
answerable.com . So, our effective expenditure will be about $15 per
year for domain fee plus managed DNS.
 What you guys have to say.
regards
VK