[ubuntu-in] BSNL USB Data Terminal on Gusty

Hari Prasad Nadig hpnadig at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 13:57:41 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2007-11-17 at 19:11 +0530, Mir Nazim wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> BSNL just launched usb based CDMA data terminal for internet access
> here in Kashmir. Looks like its similar to Tata Indicom(not sure
> though since i never used tata indicom).
>
> Does anybody have knowledge about how to run it on linux.
>
> I am planning to buy one, but only if it will run on ubuntu.
>
> Anyone has any Idea about this one.
>
> I got following details written on the box of the data terminal:
> MG 478/AC 8700
> CDMA 2000 IX EV-Do
>
> Manufactured By: ZTE

I've been using this device for more than three months now. It works on
Ubuntu. Refer this blog post on how to get it working on Ubuntu:
http://platonic.techfiz.info/2008/03/04/hacking-bsnl-evdo-on-linux/

It depends greatly on how much signal you're getting at the place you're
trying to get it work. Also remember that you'll need to activate it
once on Windoze before using it on Ubuntu.

  - h.p.