[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu on Apple Mac's

Linux Lingam linuxlingam at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 21:51:22 BST 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Ramnarayan. K  wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Linux Lingam  wrote:
>>
>> i know of a few who triple-boot: mac, win, lin.
>>

> am sure triplebooting mac, win and Linux would be possible on a linux
> machine as well, *if* mac released their os independent of the platform.

if.

> Agreeing with all the benefits of a mac under lin it still leaves me
> wondering whether the control macs keep over the booting process is a
> backdoor to jam (at a later date) a better OS working on "their" hardware.
>
> still-not-convinced-about-mac-under-lin

let me add one more reason: i wouldn't buy a macbook this quarter.
those things are growing long in the tooth with their design and minor
upgrades. common sense dictates that apple has to launch a new series
of laptops, especially with the much-changed scenario. was hoping
they'd do it at the wwdc where they announced the iphone3g, and since
they haven't, i suppose the next quarter could be gold.

meanwhile, i'd always vote with my wallets for those who wish to
embrace the vision and philosophy of lin and foss on their hardware
and devices, rather than those who's cold, hard fingers you've got to
prise open to install your choice.

so i'd rather buy a laptop loaded or read-for-lin, from asus for
instance, especially for their eeepc initiative that runs
pre-installed with lin. they deserve the community's support. they did
some good stuff there. have heard msi is taking out some new stuff
too. then there are those coming out with a whole slew of notebooks
and netbooks by the next quarter on lin.

if apple sells a laptop pre-installed with lin, or dual-boots with lin
and mac, i'd suppose hordes of people, new people, and those normally
averse to apple, would go out and enthusiastically buy those machines.
ditto if apple releases the entire code of mac os x under a copyleft license.

regards
niyam