[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu on Apple Mac's

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 06:02:42 BST 2008

Hi

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Linux Lingam <linuxlingam at gmail.com> wrote:
> what do you think suddenly inspired the massive improvements in the
> user-interface of gnu/linux?!
> hehehe just joking....

So what are the great differences between MacOs X and say the best GUI
linux distro - i assume that its atleast the following

1. Better compatibility and integration of Hardware with the OS / Software
2. The default install of MACOS is pretty good , simply because they
are all done by Apple itself and they have the entire process down
pat, where linux installs are basically do it yourself and often
because of hardware incompatibility there is some gap between ideal
and what actualy happens, so am wondering what happens if Apple Macs
are installed professionally - would it make a difference.

>> And I agree they are grossly overpriced, but getting them from a
>> reseller, rather than an Apple Store, its comes out much cheaper.
>
> overpriced even then.
even with a univ discount (say in the US)

>>Apple at least does that (I
>> have seen Apple's OS and devices show drastic improvement after every
>> iteration, most of the consumer grievances seem to be sorted out, yet
>> they do keep a few cards to themselves)
>>

> unlike microsoft, apple is a tad better. which is why am considering
> them. but they're not exactly 100% sanitized. which is why i stop
> short. of course, you can pick and choose from within apple. so am
> definitely not buying an ipod or an iphone, *even* if apple or anyone
> gives it to me free-of-cost.
>

>>> nevertheless, i do have a few points on why i feel compelled to
>>> purchase a macbook running ubuntu, ubuntustudio, and debian, for
>>> myself.
>>
>>  I shall be grateful if you share some of those compelling reasons
>> with me? I shall have those ready as arguments, when I face my parents
>> :D
>

> i don't know if my reasons suit you, but here are a few:
>
> 01) great aesthetic design. for me.

are there any comparable machines from other companies - Sony Vaio's.
Fujitsu Siemens etc, IBM/Lenovo X series ??

> 03) in my color-tinted perspective of the world, there are only two
> types of personal computers in the world: mac, and mac-wannabe.
>
> 04) ubuntu and debian on macbook rocks for me.

so if Macs rock why would you want to install GNU/Linux on it ??

> 07) a mac is more friendly for creative-professionals. it's
> engineering gives you low-latencies, the hardware has less electrical
> noise, better shielding, etc/

in comparision to what ?? what is wrong with other machines

> i have a few more reasons why i would choose a mac, but am pressed for time.

would like to hear them when you have time

So some more questions

As far as i understand its diffuclt to boot a live cd on MAC's

Second the boot loader control is retained by the MAC Boot Camp
utility ?? so does this have any implication where Apple Mac can
actually through thir updates lock down this facility and make it
unusable ??

thanks
ram