[ubuntu-in] How safe it is to install (*)ubuntu on a laptop

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 07:34:12 BST 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:21 AM, Arpan Patelia <arpanfoross at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello friends,
> I bought a new Dell XPS laptop a month back and I want to intall Ubuntu on
> it. However I've read on internet that there is one bug present in Ubuntu
> kills your laptop hard-drive in very short period of time(this bug does not
> affect desktops, it is present in one of the modules for laptop).  It is not
> fixed yet as per Launchpad.
>
> The bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi-support/+bug/59695
>

> Did anyone install Hardy on laptop and was successful with workaround?
>
> Is it safe to install (*)ubuntu on laptop ignoring the existance of that
> bug?

As far as I remember, the bug is specific to some hard disk and not
all. IIRC, the problem is that Ubuntu keeps waking up the hard disk
every few seconds (or milli seconds perhaps) which causes more wear
and tear than usual.
I have also heard that a workaround is available to fix the problem.
Try searching on wiki.ubuntu.com or planet.ubuntu.com

Onkar