[ubuntu-in] Unable to log in normal Ubuntu account

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 16:59:58 BST 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 6:20 PM, tabankg <khabor08 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Respected Friends,
>              I have successfully installed Ubuntu-8.04(Hardy Heron)on my
> machine,but after using it successfully for some days I am facing a problem.
>   I am unable to log in as normal user account which is "kgnile",but I can
> log in to Ubuntu-8.04 with "root" account in GUI.
>   When I want to log in as "kgnile" in text mode ttyS1-to ttyS6(console
> mode),it logs in,but after showing a repetitive command
> "-bash:/dev/null:Permission denied".
>           Friends please help me out.

Looks like for some reason your /etc/passwd file is messed up. Login
with root account, edit file /etc/passwd. In that file search for the
username you use for normal user (kgnile). The second last entry is
home folder for that user and last entry is which shell to use. Check
which one of them is /dev/null. My guess is your home directory has
changed. Your home directory should be of the form /home/kgnile

Onkar