[ubuntu-in] College tech-fest help..

Gaurish Sharma gary4gar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 08:44:52 GMT 2008

List,
I am against FREE cd sent by shipit service as most of them are going
waste. instead, the whole process should be made manual & respective
LoCo teams should approve requests. this step would minimize waste of
resources. i myself tried distributing around 10 disc twice or thrice
first among my school mates & then in my college. the response is
disappointing. most people returned the DISC to me the second day,
while others had put it to innovative uses.

1) using it as a reflectors in cycles
2) keeping in their school bag & using it as mirror(as mirrors were
not allowed our school)
3) in college people were more sane, so they just returned me the DISC
saying, "yaar isme toh kuch samajth nahi aaya, apni to toh windows hi
theek hai", For non hindi speakers it means. "I Didn't understand how
to use it, windows is best for me as it is easy to use"

Now, i suggest first to create a Hype like not giving the cd's, and
showing off the Desktop effects & other features of Ubuntu which are
far more ahead from windows platform.the most usefull features that
even a hardcore windows fan virus free working environment. its just a
clue you and let or imagination fly & compile some other features
offered Ubuntu which are suitable in our context &  then start a
advertisement campaign around your campus.

so by this people would be curious about Ubuntu, and whenever they get
a chance they would love to try it out.

So to sum up, instead of forceing more people to install Ubuntu on
their machine. Create a General awareness about Ubuntu.
Like make a target that everyone should know what Ubuntu is in &
around your campus. it doesn't matter whether they actully use it or
not but they should know what is Ubuntu or Linux in general.

And if someone is Deeply interested in Ubuntu offer a Ubuntu Disc.
but first create a General awareness Level.

Regards,
Gaurish Sharma