[ubuntu-in] can't install anything, many errors

AlgoMantra algomantra at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 10:53:12 GMT 2008

Hi, I haven't been able to install any packages for over a month now.
The situation is beyond urgent, and quite ridiculous since I can't
continue any of my work.

The system kept saying that the file containing list of files for libtheora0
and
libtracker-gtk0 were missing every time I run apt-get. I fixed that by
getting the same from
elsewhere. Now when I tried re-installing dpkg itself, it says:

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `libtiff4' missing,
assuming package has no files currently installed.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.14.5ubuntu16_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 files list file for package `libtrackerclient0' is missing final newline
 /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.14.5ubuntu16_i386.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
fadereu at fadeurium:~$

I think a few files might be corrupted in /var/lib/dpkg/info/
which is pictured here:

http://sand.a3ai.com/images/dpkginfo.png

Kindly propose me a solution that will work. I'm not very experienced in
Linux,
but I can follow clearly written instructions.

yours,
-- fadereu
http://www.algomantra.com