[ubuntu-in] Problem with Broadband in Allahabad (Dapper 6.06)

Anurag Mishra mishranurag at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 15:40:49 GMT 2008

Dear Friends,

I got so many responses for offer to help my parents with Broadband. The
problem is that when the command sudo ppoeconf is issued we get this error
"sudo: unable to lookup (none) via gethostbyname()". In fact sudo with any
command was not working.

It appeared that that administrative privileges were gone. We restarted the
computer and edited /etc/hosts and added the username at the end of
127.0.0.1 localhost.

This appeared to fix the problem and sudo started working (we tested). Then
again we issued sudo ppoeconf and we got the same error.  We checked sudo
again with other command and administrative privileges were lost again.

Looks like ppoeconf caused these privileges to loose.

Any ideas?

Anurag
Anurag Mishra
Graduate Research Assistant,