[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu Repository

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 03:37:16 GMT 2008

Hello Annop,
> I suggest you to not to download all the repos as it will lead to
> wasteful of bandwidth, rather download selected packages & save them via
> aptoncd.
>
> True that a lot of bandwidth gets consumed when downloading the entire
repository and its a repetitive task. But am not sure i totally agree with
the solution of downloading only those packages that we need because
a. not everyone has access to a decent internet connection which allows the
option of downloading when ever its required.
b. if one is still experimenting with / or learning / or playing around with
Ubuntu it is  good idea to have "all" the packages available.

my recent posts would indicate i have a 5 dvd set repository of Gutsy - and
was desperate to have it as an always on repository - and wow is it
fantastic no more worries about do i have the net or not. And i can update
all the machines that are ubuntu very very easily.

That said - i am willing to send a  copy the 5 DVD set of Ubuntu 7.10 to
some of the Ubuntu moderators or any other centrally placed person who can
then help redistribute it.

ram

PS i asked a friend in the US to get me the entire repos does that help save
indian bandwidth :)