[ubuntu-in] Fwd: Setting up local apt-get repository ? - Any more tips

Balaji Narayanan lists at balajin.net
Sat Feb 9 05:26:22 GMT 2008

Ramnarayan.K said the following on Thursday 07 February 2008 05:15 PM:
> Hi
>
> am fwding this message again - in case some one has any bright ideas
>
> With another query
>
> a few years back a friend setup Ubuntu on our (ex) office network as a
> bonus he also put the entire debian repository as iso files into one
> section and said i could use it to download any package and not have to
> visit the net - that time i was still coming to grips with how to deal
> with basic linux, updating was not even in the peripheral vision.
>
> So is that some kind of option
>
> I am kinda of desperate and none of the solutions so far seem to work.
>
> Is there some way i can mimic the cd's on the hard disk and that apt
> accepts this mimic.

http://balajin.net/blog/archives/2005/11/26/ubuntu_upgrade.html

This is what I did a while ago and this worked.

I do not have a CD handy to check but this is what I would try.

Put the CD on, let us say it mounts under /media/cdrom. Inside this
there will (should?) be a directory called ubuntu. And inside this there
should be a directory called pool and that should have subdirs main,
multiverse etc as you point below.

If yes, try adding
deb file:/media/cdrom/ubuntu gusty main restricted

And see if apt-get update works and then you can mirror the tree to your
disk.

HTH
-balaji

--
http://balajin.net/blog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/balajijegan/

Getting there is only half as far as getting there and back.