[ubuntu-in] Introduction

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 19:43:51 BST 2008

Hi Amit,

Welcome to the list. and better still welcome to the beautiful world of
Ubuntu and Linux.

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Amit Sarda <amit.sarda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All
>

> recently i came across ubuntu and i liked to OS from the word go.

So did you install Ubuntu or just saw it running somewhere -

> i'm not a tech savy guy, but i would like to implement it on my system. we
> have approx 4 - 5 systems running.

Have you tried the Live Session of Ubuntu on any of your machines. If not
please do so - it will give you a good idea about Ubuntu.

i would like a little help in doing this and would turn to you for advice.

First make out a list of all your requirements from Ubuntu:

Networking, Peripherals that are currently being used, what software you
need, how many users are there and how you will go about getting them over
to Ubuntu. Make a list of your specific machine specs and google for Ubuntu
+ your machine (if its a specific model) , similarly google for your
peripherals and how they work on Ubuntu / Linux.

Next Search for and Contact either a Local Linux / Ubuntu User group and
join in and ask for specific help.

Next Try Live Ubuntu on your all machines and see what all works and what
does not.

I guess if after that you have specific queries it will be easier for better
qualified people on this list to help you.

have fun
ram