[ubuntu-in] mailing Lists or Discussion Forums (was Ubuntu India Forum - )

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 09:18:55 BST 2007

Hi,

My thoughts below:

----- On 9/30/07, Lut4rp <lut4rp at techjugaad.com> wrote:
| 1. I wanted a forum because of the primary ease in accessing them.
\--

It depends.

I can read e-mails from mailing lists when traveling, with mobile
phones. Not everyone is sitting behind a desktop on a
broadband/dial-up connection to read forums. Forums are intuitive, and
more customer-oriented. Developers, in general, prefer mailing lists.

-----
| our main goals in this community is to spread the use of FOSS like Ubuntu. I
| suggest somehow replacing/modifying the lists with the forum.
\--

Each tool is useful in one way or another.

You have to use the right tool for the right tasks, with the right
people, at the right time ... (1)

-----
| I dont think a
| maiing list is that suitable for a country like India where people are still
| new to FOSS.
\--

Are you new to FOSS? :)

-----
| 2. The wiki is not a very good source of India-specific Ubuntu info. It does
| need to be updated. The IRC channel is way too unfamiliar to people in
| India.
\--

Need to learn to get used to the FOSS culture. Also see (1).

-----
| answer them "Goto the wiki, Join the mailing list!". Every time, its the
| same reply, "mailing list? forum nahi hai? XP ka vo forum hai na,
| xxxxxx.com, vaisa?"
\--

There are many forums like linuxquestions.org, linuxforum.com where
people also participate. Nobody said you shouldn't ask Ubuntu
questions there :)

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before

-----
|  6. Taking the ubuntuforums.org example, they arent India-specific, they are
| monstrously huge,
\--

Welcome to the huge FOSS community.

This mailing list is India specific, and does not have heavy traffic.

Please don't top-post, and use plain text when writing e-mails, in future.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com