[ubuntu-in] mailing Lists or Discussion Forums (was Ubuntu India Forum - )

Lut4rp lut4rp at techjugaad.com
Sun Sep 30 08:05:35 BST 2007

Hi, hi, hello people!

I'm sorry, the man in question, the one who started this whole debate, that
is ME (Pratul) hasn't yet participated in this discussion... ha ha! I did
write to the list but i hadn't yet been verified, so the mail bounced back.
So, i am writing this again...

I'm sorry i couldn't register with the mailing list earlier... I was a
little busy (my college fest coming up :) ) and it seems that i missed out a
healthy discussion! But fear not! I have read the archives of the list, so i
am up-to-date with what all has been said. Here's what i have to say:

1. I wanted a forum because of the primary ease in accessing them. One of
our main goals in this community is to spread the use of FOSS like Ubuntu. I
suggest somehow replacing/modifying the lists with the forum. I dont think a
maiing list is that suitable for a country like India where people are still
new to FOSS. Someone mentioned on the list that forums require a lot of
bandwidth? Dont worry friend, I keep my DB optimised and believe me, they
are quite fast.

2. The wiki is not a very good source of India-specific Ubuntu info. It does
need to be updated. The IRC channel is way too unfamiliar to people in
India.

3. We people (us who have been using Ubuntu for sometime now) aren't the
ones that need support! Its the n00bs.. Again, let me stress the point, I
have personally distributed over 100 Ubuntu CDs, and every time, people say
"Isme net chalega? Isme game chalegi? Iska user forum kahaa hai?" I have to
answer them "Goto the wiki, Join the mailing list!". Every time, its the
same reply, "mailing list? forum nahi hai? XP ka vo forum hai na, xxxxxx.com,
vaisa?" Maybe we can get the point better now?? :)

4. BG provided 2 great ways to access the mailing list in an interactive
manner, http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user.indian and
http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-in@lists.ubuntu.com/
. I shall add these to the wiki. This answered some of the queries by
people.

5. I say, lets keep the wiki for advanced documentation & development
work/geeky stuff, and the forums for basic/advanced support. The wiki can
also act as super-important place where one should checkup before moving to
the forums.

6. Taking the ubuntuforums.org example, they arent India-specific, they are
monstrously huge, and many, many countries have resorted to their own
mini-community forums. The ubuntu.com wiki, too is used for advanced devels
only, so is the IRC channel. In fact, a check up at this URL,
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList, shows very few LoCo teams that do not
have forum.

So... If i missed something, please point it out again. And, if anybody
noticed, I did create the forums using SMF (thanks for the advice, VK) on
http://ubuntu.techjugaad.com, till we get a URL.

Thanks!
Pratul

On 9/29/07, Mir Nazim <mirnazim at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/29/07, Ramnarayan. K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > so my two paisa [make that 2 rupees considering the value of the rupee
> is
> > quite low there days ;) ]
>
> Dollar is down these days, so we can say Rupee is gaining(what if it
> is through a proxy ;) )
> --
> ALLAH HAFIZ
>   Mir Nazim
> mobile: +91-9906478306

In a world without fences & boundaries, who needs Gates and Windows?
personal website - http://techjugaad.com/techbakwaas