[ubuntu-in] USB Mass Storage unmount bug

Parag Kothari parag.kothari at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 10:57:35 BST 2007

But then if that's the case then why isn't there any indication of the
ongoing transfer or it being completed?
Is there a way for me to check that the transfer is actually taking place
and to know once it completes?

On 9/22/07, Gora Mohanty <gora at sarai.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 13:26 +0530, Parag Kothari wrote:
> > I have faced the problem while connecting my sony ericsson k750i phone
> > with Memory Stick as a USB Mass Storage Device as well. After i try to
> > unmount/eject the device, it displays a notification saying files are
> > being copied now and the device should not be unplugged till then but
> > there is no progress bar or notification saying whether its in
> > progress or complete and the PC just seems to be doing nothing and
> > seems to hang.
> [...]
>
> Erm, not sure about other systems, but Linux has worked like
> this for the longest time. When you copy a large set of files
> to removable storage, the actual transfer might be sitting in
> a cache, and take place only when you go to unmount the device.
> That notification is warning you of this, and you should take
> it to heart, and not physically remove the USB device till the
> transfer is done.
>
> Not sure about why the PC is hanging, but my guess is that if
> you are low on RAM or CPU power, the sudden copying of a large
> number of files temporarily takes over your system. So, if you
> just let it be for a few minutes, it should come back. I have
> been using a variety of USB storage devices ever since at least
> Edgy, without any problems.
>
> Regards,
> Gora

Visit my web sites:
http://vtechsolutions.biz/ for IT Solutions
http://www.shubhvivaah.net/ Free Matrimonials
http://www.vfriendz.com/ for Entertainment Unlimited
http://vfriendz.com/blog/ a Blog to Express Urself about anything n
everything

Earn Money...!
http://www.agloco.com/r/BBCP8400 - Be a part of the Internet's first
Member-Owned Economic Community. Join AGLOCO - Own the Internet!'

http://www.mginger.com/index.jsp?inviteId=165786
mGinger - Spice up your mobile!!