[ubuntu-in] Starting LUG on college campus

Parth parth.technofreak at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 11:18:21 BST 2007

On 9/11/07, Prateek Sharma <prateek3.14 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> We have decided to start an LUG in my campus (BITS-pilani) .
> We have approximately 100 member as of now.
> How do we 'register' ourselves as an LUG? Is there some process we
> have to follow etc.? Also, what benefits would we have if we are an
> LUG?
> Any information in this regard would be highly appreciated.
> Thanks.

IMHO, you need not register it at all. IIRC Chennai LUG is not
registered. If you are going to register then you need to have proper
structure like President, Chairman, Seceretary, etc. + maintain
accounts for everything. This is where politics is going to creep in.
Better be an open society were there is no one or few big guys really
ruling the LUG. It can be another of the various intra-college
associations running within the college, may be you can join hands
with your local or nearby local LUG.

LUGs are not organizations to draw any official benefits. Just you
will have a name to group under, name to represent you as belonging to
such and such LUG. And this query having been posted in Ubuntu-In
mailing list, LUG is no equal to a Ubuntu Loco Team in the way that a
LUG need not be recognized by anyone for its existence.

All above are IMHO*
--
Parthan aka Technofreak
FOSS Enthusiast and Ubuntero

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that
they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the
first secret of success.
 ~ Dr. Norman Vincent Peale