[ubuntu-in] Gutsy problems on Athlon

nan budh nanbudh at yahoo.co.in
Sun Oct 28 10:41:04 GMT 2007

Satish Chandra <satish.c7 at gmail.com> wrote: nan budh wrote:
> I have an assembled desktop with AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512 MB RAM,
Samsung 80 GB SATA Hard Disk and ASUS K8S-MX motherboard. I donot have
any seperate graphics card.
> I installed gutsy using gutsy AMD 64 desktop CD.
> I also have AMD Alternative CD lying ready but someone on IRC said
that reinstall would not help if there were no errors during installation.
> I am forced to use windows these days:-(
> regards
> nanbudh
>
> ps-sorry for the late reply, i was looking for my motherboard manual
which was stacked away somewhere deep.

Is this the first time you are trying Ubuntu? If not, did any previous
versions work properly? Check if you have the proper drivers in
xorg.conf for your motherboard on board graphics card
(http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=377&l1=3&l2=14&l3=149&l4=0).
I have used 6.06 since its release on the same system and if i remember correctly there was an issue with the live CD last time too and i had used alternate CD. But since than dapper had worked without any problem.

As regards the current situation with freeze-up/crashes and corrupted graphics....well since there was no solution on the horizon and since i saw no hope of a fix i decided to go by my hunch and........ i have just finished clean re-installation of  gutsy using alternate CD(ubuntu7.10-alternate-amd64)

And now i am trying it out and uptil now no freeze-up and no graphics corruption!!!hurray,,,happy days are back again!!!!!.
i have not installed flash or java plug-in uptill now(which i suspect could have done something last time). I am going to be alert as to when the trouble starts this time(if it starts at all). i am keeping my fingers crossed.

nanbudh