[ubuntu-in] List of Current To-dos

Parthan S R parth.technofreak at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 12:29:41 BST 2007

Gora Mohanty wrote:
> These are all practical issues, and rightly so. I would like to
> submit two more items, which have more of a philosophical bent,
> though they also touch on practicalities: [5] Where is the "in"
> part in ubuntu-in? I would suggest that we work with IndLinux on
> making sure that Indian language packages work well on Ubuntu. This
> was one of the original intentions behind the Ubuntu-in team, and
> though some work has been done, it is not nearly enough. One
> aspect, which will also be part of the IndLinux project day is
> documentation. I suggest that we share work on this, along the
> lines of [4] above.
Gora,

Its been on this mind and you too have been reminding us in the
channel about something on the sidelines of foss.in. We favor to have
it started during the Project Day itself, with not just a [5] but a
seperate PPA for taking care of India related packages in Ubuntu,
which all other teams like ubuntu-tam will also be a part of. Thus we
will have contributing members on this and also a solid goal to
achieve. This can also serve as an entry point for new members to
learn contributing to ubuntu as well. I feel, as the Indian Loco Team,
it is our responsibility to do this. I have read Ubuntu Brazilian team
doing a lot of contribution on Brazil related packages and
translations. Its time Ubuntu-In follows and joins them and other
world wide Loco Teams.

I hope, wish and will take measures that this doesn't go as just
words. I am sure to get support from people who have similar thoughts
like Onkar Shinde and people who have been already working in this
like you, amachu and Kartik (Sorry, I just said names which I
frequently talk with and am sure of. Others please regret for not
including your names :) )

More ideas and responses from the team members is expected on a
separate thread :)
> [6] Relationship with debian-in: There are already people with
> nothing better to do muttering on debian-in lists about how Debian
> is *freer* than Ubuntu. I have no wish to get involved in this
> discussion, but a practical policy of cooperation might be to
> ensure that any Indian-language specific enhancement to Ubuntu also
> be submitted to Debian.
We understand this very well and that is where the combined project
day by Debian-In and Ubuntu-In team is going to be a good start. As
there are lot of common members in both the teams and a lot of respect
for the upstream i.e. Debian within the Ubuntu-In team, this will
become reality soon that both teams will work on common platforms such
as localization and others :)

- --
With Regards,
Parthan aka Technofreak