[ubuntu-in] What your web development environment

Lalit Shandilya shanlalit at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 10:06:07 BST 2007

On 10/19/07, Lalit Shandilya <shanlalit at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/07, Mir Nazim <mirnazim at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello guys
> >
> > Here I come to disturb you once again.
> >
> > I am a web app developer working mostly on PHP/Drupal, Python/Django ,
> > jQuery. Actually I wanted to know what kind of tools are people using
> > on ubuntu to develop web apps. By tools I mean editors, gebuging
> > tools, browser compatibility testing tools etc.
> >
> > The aim here is not to start another editor wars, but just to document
> > the things available.
> >
> > So here goes my list
> >
> > Editor/IDE = Quanta, Komodo IDE, Eclipse
> > Browsers = Firefox, Epiphany, ies4linux, Opera, Konqueror
> > Browser/JS Tools = Web Developer Toolbar, FireBug, YSlow
> > Debugger = XDebug
> >

> > What I would specifically like to know about that is any one using
> > something like TextMate for Linux(please do not mention scribes. It
> > has a real long way to go before it can even come close to textmate),
> > Because Komodo and Eclipse something start to get sluggish after
> > extended use.
> >
> > --
> > ALLAH HAFIZ
> > Mir Nazim
> > mobile: +91-9906478306
> >

> Here is mine
>
> Editor/IDE = Jedit, Netbeans (Ruby IDE), Gedit with following plug-ins
> (snapopen, quickhighlightmode, gemini, autocomplete) these plug-ins  make it
> more like Textmate. Google 'gedit texmate' for help.
>
> Browsers = Firefox, ies4linux, Opera, Konqueror
> Browser/JS Tools = Web Developer Toolbar, FireBug, YSlow
> Debugger = XDebug
>
> Cheers!
> Lalit K. Shandilya
> www.switchprompt.com

Here are the quick links for tips to turn gEdit into short of Textmate
http://grigio.org/textmate_gedit_few_steps
http://rubymm.blogspot.com/2007/08/make-gedit-behave-roughly-like-textmate.html

I am using this for CakePHP and Ruby on Rails it's speedy and easy more of
like Textmate.

Cheers!
Lalit K. Shandilya
www.switchprompt.com