[ubuntu-in] What your web development environment

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 09:52:21 BST 2007

On 10/19/07, Mir Nazim <mirnazim at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello guys
>
> Here I come to disturb you once again.
>
> I am a web app developer working mostly on PHP/Drupal, Python/Django ,
> jQuery. Actually I wanted to know what kind of tools are people using
> on ubuntu to develop web apps. By tools I mean editors, gebuging
> tools, browser compatibility testing tools etc.
>
> The aim here is not to start another editor wars, but just to document
> the things available.
>
> So here goes my list
>
> Editor/IDE = Quanta, Komodo IDE, Eclipse
> Browsers = Firefox, Epiphany, ies4linux, Opera, Konqueror
> Browser/JS Tools = Web Developer Toolbar, FireBug, YSlow

One addition. HTML validator plugin for Firefox. You can find it on
http://addons.mozilla.org

> Debugger = XDebug
>

> What I would specifically like to know about that is any one using
> something like TextMate for Linux(please do not mention scribes. It
> has a real long way to go before it can even come close to textmate),
> Because Komodo and Eclipse something start to get sluggish after
> extended use.

Which eclipse version are you using. I am using 3.3. Also try using
latest JRE like 6.0. You can specify which jvm to use and memory to
allocate with eclipse with command line as follows.
eclipse.exe -vm /path/to/java -vmargs -Xms300m -Xmx450m

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.