[ubuntu-in] JDK for CS Ubuntu

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 16:00:37 BST 2007

On 10/11/07, Roshan <d_rosh2001 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> --- Onkar Shinde wrote:
>
> > Wrong statement. Java 5  is not released under GPL.
>
> Not even under a dual License?
>
> http://www.eclipsezone.com/eclipse/forums/t85980.html
> - has an entry stating Java 6 is released under GPL.
> The comments in that blog state it is under dual
> License.

Another comment in same thread state that the license is still old one. :-)

> I can see an entry in my Adept Manager (Kubuntu 6.06.1
> LTS) called sun-java5-source which contains a zip file
> containing the source code of JDK.

The source is of core class files only. And that source is non-Free.
You can not modify that source. Apart from that, the actual compiler
is not even open source.

> > Only upcoming Java 7.
>
> Yes, read about this at Sun's website. However, Java 6
> downloads page, also points to a link, where one can
> download the source code (as self extracting files /
> rpms).
>
> http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

The source of class files have been available for long time under
non-Free license.

> > Blackdown is also non-Free AFAIK.
>
> Mostly. The website seems to be down, though wikipedia
> confirms that it is neither Free nor Open Source.
> (apologies for this).

No need for apologies. Confusions do happen. I know these details
because I have been following the state of Java on GNU/Linux since
about 5 years. I am a developer who works primarily on java based
applications. :-)

The upcoming Java 7 will have Free class files as well as compiler. Of
course that means that Sun will need to replace some bits of code for
which they don't own the copyright with Free alternatives. This is
where projects like GNU Classpath will be helpful.

Onkar
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.